Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Perfect! The PS3 will fit right inside the Xbox360's concave design! Here are all the screenshots released of the console (came out just now). Very sleek, but i dont like the fact its curved, since it means i cant put anything on top of it like i did with the PS2. Also, the "Playstation 3" label looks like the same font the Spiderman movies use, but i guess im just being picky there. It looks a lot better than the PS2, in my opinion.

Technical info is here for those interested. It seems they're using wirleless controllers too, seven of them in fact. I guess that compensates for only supporting two controllers last time, but im worried about the battery life on those things. Especially if they intend to keep the much-loved vibration function.
    Other than that, im very impressed by the specs of the console so far; Sony seem to be addressing a lot of problems people had with the PS2. We'll have to wait and see how reliable it is though.

Nintendo intends on releasing information on the Revolution tomorrow, so i'll see what information i can scramble up then. In the meanwhile, im left wondering what the new controller for the PS3 will look like. Other than being wireless, how will the DualShock 3 improve on its predacessor? We should have details later.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 16, 2005 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Controller.

Console design mock-up. ;P Some truth to it.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 16, 2005 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol a grill. My first impression was a paper shredder ^_^ and the controller looks just like a boomerang. So if I lose I can just smack someone from across the room. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vague curves are the future! You can tell there's supreme power in curved objects.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My comments:

● PowerPCs really did it this time... Based on my own speculations and what sony said of the PS2, I don't believe them one bit WRT being twice as powerful as the Xbox 360. It looks like the typical sony bullshit. Then again, microsoft doesn't have too much credibility either. Anyways, the PS2's CPU is, if anything, more balanced than what the Xbox 360 has got.

● Again I find I'd have gone for more RAM. I think Sony's operating system will use it more efficiently due to their experience with videogames and Microsoft's experience with bloatware which they virtually invented. It's also good to see Sony's learnt from their past fuck up with VRAM. No more sucky textures which they called realistic. However, I'm happier with the Xbox 360 memory system. It's more flexible.

● I don't have useful data (and don't even think reliable) on either's graphics chips to decide. If we were to judge by their overall performance in the last generation of PC graphics cards, I'd say nVidia has a small advantage.

● Sound: I understand by "Cell-based" they mean software sound. This is a good decision.

● Game media: I think the Blu-ray is the best decision, as it'll be a standard, and hold an enormous capacity. I wonder if it'll be too much though, as we're hardly exploiting today's DVDs, and before anybody mentions DVD-Video getting barely 2 hours and no extras in a single layered DVD, DVD-Video sucks; we have standards that compress 2 to 10 times better than that. However, they can always use DVDs until they're not enough, just like what they did with the ever-so-overhyped DVD-enabled PS2 (zomg did i just say dvd??1lolz) for the first year.

● These marketing tards tell you how many USB slots you have, but not how many USB controllers, which is probably just 1. I'm not complaining, just letting you know about the real thing. I'm confident the PS3 will feature standard USB ports to do something useful with them (standard controllers would be too much to ask from Sony, but I hope they support keyboards and stuff); I doubt Microsoft's "USB ports" will be actually USB-shaped, it's so typical of them to pretend they support standards, then fuck them up till they actually aren't, so you end up paying old Billy for everything (Lol @ their Java, JavaScript, .NET, MSIE, WebDAV, and so on...).

● The PS3 seems packed with much better connectivity than the Xbox 360, like SD cards. Memory sticks are really uncalled for though, I hope you can use hard drives and standard USB sticks. 2.5" HD is a moronic decision though. Or not-so-moronic if what they want is to prevent you from getting a huge HD and keeping lots of games in it.

● As I said in the Xbox 360 thread, wireless is like fashion: a waste of money and a pain in the ass. I hope there are regular gamepads I don't have to remember to recharge, last longer, and are lighter than that wireless stuff.

● 1080 decent (AKA 1080P), that's better than the Xbox 360's 1080 sucky old interlaced (AKA 1080I). High resolution is of little worth if it's still the troublesome, flicker-happy interlaced hack they developed decades ago when television technology wasn't as advanced.

● As for the external apperance, the PS3 follows the PS2's line of butt uglyness. It's almost as bad. Even the Xbox 360 looks better. Ah, the old generations, when consoles were designed to look good. I wonder if Nintendo will do another stupid eccentric thing, or they'll concentrate on exploting the advantage Sony and Microsoft grants them with an awesome, modern, good looking design that will look nice near my TV in my living room.

● The gamepad looks great though. I don't understand why Sony insisted on keeping that ugly, less comfortable design they had for so long. Now this finally looks like a current-gen (and next-gen) gamepad, and I think it'll be a lot more comfortable, maybe even up to Dreamcast-grade goodness.

Overall, I'm excited with the PS3 specifications more than I am with the Xbox 360. However, we should be used to Sony's lies, and Microsoft can't be trusted either, and with consoles so powerful you can make any kind of game with virtually any kind of detail, it'll be all up to games, so I wouldn't rely on the hype machine that much. This morons don't understand, though, and they'll be all crazy for the megahertz lolol, because a small number is all their little minds can handle. I hope this time the lambs' stupidity doesn't affect the market so much as it did with the PS2, and only the best system wins - be it Sony's, or be it Nintendo's...

...or *gasp*... Microsoft's.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ May 17, 2005 09:14 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, PS3 is "almost" here this time. I think that the new design is FAR much appealing than the Black shit they did with PS2 At least, you don't need now a vertical stand for it to keep up (that's why theyhave made it curved, so it's harder to make it fall and you don't need a stand to keep it up, this remind me of a special pen that the NASA invented to write in the space, while the Russian always used pencils... XD) and for the controllers... hehe... i like them, they're much more curved and they seem to fit better than the original PSX design (also, after a pic i saw in 4chan, much girls will thank this new design... with no doubt [img]tongue.gif[/img] don't ask...)

Also, as i can check, they're up again for backwards compatibility... (oh my.. i just can't imagine running Vib Ribbon (worst graphically designed ever game for PSX) on that machine... XDDDDDDDDDDDD simply ridiculous!!!!) i hope this time they learn from EMU programmers and now the game also accelerates PS1 games.

And PS2 games will have the chance to get their graphics improved in this new machine? (say perhaps true shaders for them...)

For the technical stuff... i'm still wating to see if PS2 is able to move 70.000.000 polygons persecond.... or 20.000.000 with all the efects, so, as always, tech stuff is propaganda shit. they simply release those numbers to impress people and normally, the true power is much less than they anounced. At least, they don't lie you when the demonstrations of the console's posibilities are "seen" rather than told.

About the disk capability, also, i just can't imagine how people can build a game that uses even 10 Gigs, is 9 gigabytes, and you have a game long and detailed, 54 Gigabytes is just TOO MUCH, but nonetheless, they won't complain about capacity again. put infinite space, and you say more or less the same.

What i also see is that they're up for wireless comms, so, i'd be glad, if, perhaps, you could run a server in a regular PC, and could connect some PS3 wireless to play. That' be great.

Also, Wiseman, you seem to lose that they say "USB 2.0 (wired)" i think they'll have "wired" controlers also. Wireless controllers are SHIT unless they have a Zohar energy system inside, i won't rely on them ever [img]tongue.gif[/img]

(and even not like that, after

XENOGEARS SPOILERS

the incident in the Eldridge XDDDDDDD)

EOS.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks nice.

I've never had any problems with my GCN's wavebirds, which even worked from 3 rooms away.I wouldn't worry about wireless controllers.

Senior Hostboard Member Hell Knight's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol@Beat-chan. Well, it looks strange, especially the controller.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In that case, geeks read this:

Product name: PlayStation 3

CPU:
    - PowerPC-base core @3.2GHz
    - 1 VMX vector unit per core
    - 512KB L2 cache
    - 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    - 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    - 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE (1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy)
    - total floating point performance 218 GFLOPS

GPU:
    - RSX @550MHz
    - 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
    - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
    - Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:
    - 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
    - 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:
    - Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
    - VRAM: 22.4GB/s
    - RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    - SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:
    - HDD: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
    - I/O: USB 2.0, Front x 4, Rear x 2
    - Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    - SD: standard/mini x 1
    - CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication:
    - Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    - Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g
    - Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:
    - Bluetooth (up to 7)
    - USB2.0 (wired)
    - Wi-Fi (PSP)
    - Network (over IP)

AV Output:
    - Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    - HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    - Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    - Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media:
    - CD: PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    - DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    - Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Computer illiterate/mentally challenged people read this

Product Name: Playstation3

CPU: 3.2Ghz Omgomgomgomg its faster than your PC!

GPU: More polygons than microsoft

Sound: OMG!

<s>Memory:</s> Dont worry about what it is, but it probably has more than the entire human race combined!

<s>System Bandwidth:</s> Again dont worry about this, its big, and if you buy the PS3, you'll be very happy.

System Floating Point Performance: There are many floating systems. Its ok!

Storage: Yep. All here.

Communication: Headset. Talk to your mates while you play!

Controller: Look! its different, and now shaped like a boomerang.

Av Output: Plug. Put that into your socket.

Disc Media: CD shaped only! Lolz, dont put cartridges in here silly!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wirelss controllers aren't shit. I've never once had a problem with my GCN's wavebirds, and I've not replaced my batteries for over 3 months now. It's rather silly to say that wireless are shit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast